Acute Care in Hospitals
As we secure the major benefits of successful prevention, early intervention and better primary and community care, the nature of hospital based services will continue to evolve.
Transforming Your Care recognised that we need to work together and see Northern Ireland hospital services as a whole. We need to focus on what the evidence is telling us about what is best for the patient, rather than try to preserve the institution or building.
The key proposals from the Transforming Your Care consultation were to:
- develop 24 hour access to safe, sustainable cardiac catheterisation laboratory services,
- expansion of orthopaedic services,
- ensure safe, sustainable arrangements are in place for the provision of Paediatric Congenital Cardiac Surgery and Paediatric Interventional Cardiology,
- review of paediatric services,
- development of new Ambulance Protocols, and
- enhanced dedicated paediatric and neonatal transport.
It is important to make the best use of resources by ensuring the development of safe and sustainable hospital networks throughout Northern Ireland.
Transforming Your Care projects such as new Ambulance protocols and establishment of care pathways through Integrated Care Partnerships will help the population of Northern Ireland get treated by the right person, in the right place, at the right time.
Further information on projects related to acute care in hospitals will be added here in due course.
|Primary Percutaneous Coronary Interventions (PCI)|
|Orthopaedic Services – overview in TYC eZine|
|Paediatric Congenital Cardiac Surgery|
|Health and Care Centres|